View Our Application to the CRTC
The Weather Network has applied for a seven year licence renewal that includes the following:
- Maintain The Weather Network and MétéoMédia’s distribution on the basic television package.
- We are committing, if our services remain on the basic service, to add regular programming content from and about Canada’s North that will teach Canadians about the ongoing impact of the weather on Canada’s most remote Indigenous communities, including the effects of climate change.
- We will significantly enhance our localized TV offering by replacing our original standard definition (SD) localization equipment with equipment capable of delivering on-screen local forecasts to Canadian communities in both SD and High Definition; and
- If we remain on basic we will be able to continue maintaining, funding and upgrading the National Alert Aggregation and Dissemination System.
- Finally, we plan to undertake all of these enhancements and offer our essential local weather services, in both languages, across different feeds and with local forecasts to communities across the country, with no change to our wholesale subscriber fee, which has remained at $0.23 since 1993.
Read the licence renewal application we submitted to the CRTC on July 11, 2017 here.